UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. - The 2019 PSUAC Baseball playoffs will continue on Sunday, May 5th at Showers Field in DuBois, Pa. as four teams vie for the conference crown. Penn State Mont Alto and Penn State Brandywine advanced through the first round play-in games last weekend, while Penn State DuBois and Penn State Wilkes-Barre used first round byes to advance to the final four.
The double-elimination format begins on Sunday at 10:00 a.m. as Wilkes-Barre will meet Mont Alto; Brandywine and reigning PSUAC and USCAA champion DuBois will immediately follow as we work our way towards a champion. The loser of each of those games will play an elimination game at 3:00 p.m. on Sunday, hoping to advance to Monday's final three.
Championship Monday will see as many as three games, with the loser's bracket final at 11:00 a.m. and the championship game immediately following. Should the loser's bracket team win the first championship game, the "if necessary" game shall be played at approximately 3:45 p.m.
Below is a preview for each team remaining in the playoffs. Interestingly enough, each team finished in the top five in fielding percentage while having other strengths on the mound or at the plate.
Penn State DuBois
West #1 Seed
Record: 24-12, 13-2 PSUAC
USCAA Rank: T-3
- Had 14 game winning streak during season
- Led by West Pitcher of the Year Brandon Orsich, West Newcomer of the Year Isaac Stouffer, and West First Team selection Toner Corl
- Defending PSUAC champion and USCAA National Champion
- Tom Calliari was named PSUAC Coach of the Year
- Led PSUAC in team batting average and on-base percentage
Penn State Mont Alto
West #2 Seed
Record: 25-16, 11-4 PSUAC
USCAA Rank: 9
- Won season series with DuBois
- Team leaders Jeremiah Younker (West Player of the Year) and Chayse Fisher each finished in the top three of batting average and were 1-2 in the PSUAC in RBIs. Younker led the PSUAC with seven home runs, while Fisher batted .457 with 43 RBIs.
- Led PSUAC in home runs, runs scored and slugging percentage
Penn State Wilkes-Barre
East #1 Seed
Record: 13-9, 12-3 PSUAC
USCAA Rank: 16
- Won all five conference series during regular season
- Led by East Player of the Year Tanner Williams and Newcomer of the Year Brandon Hardiman (2.18 ERA)
- Led East Division with six home runs
- Lowest strikeout rate in East Division; second lowest in PSUAC
- Tops PSUAC in ERA (4.03)
Penn State Brandywine
East #3 Seed
Record: 20-15, 10-5 PSUAC
USCAA Rank: 17
- Lowest remaining seed left in PSUAC tournament; knocked off Penn State Schuylkill 5-2 in first round on Saturday
- Despite two losing streaks of four or more games, managed to finish five games over .500
- Finished season by winning eight of nine conference games
- Led by senior pitcher Tyler Michaels, who tied for the PSUAC lead for wins with seven and led the conference in K's with 57
- Team leads league with 100 stolen bases, an average of 2.9 per game